Monday, July 26, 2010

pioneer day


Saturday night after a long day four wheeling, packing up camp, unpacking trailers, washing bikes etc. fireworks began as a symbol to take a break. While the girls and I sat on the front porch watching the display you heard this.....
me: Why are there fireworks tonight?
Hayli: Uh, its pilgrims day!
me: pilgrims day? Isn't that Thanksgiving?
Hayli: Oh yeah, pioneer day.
me: Who are the pioneers?
Hayli: Um they walked a lot and invented stuff.
me: (trying not to laugh) What did they invent?
Hayli: I don't know Mom, I can't remember that stuff.
...obviously my dreams of being a children's history professor are smashed. I do realize that this is more of a reflection of parenting than public education. But the conversation had to be recorded. :) Her shirt in this picture is SO appropriate!!
I love my Hayli Jane!! (A little too much like her, not so much into history, mother.) and yes Kate looks scared because she was. We had a little fire accident while camping and sparklers were a little to reminiscent.

1 comment:

Kim M. said...

So funny! Ella wasn't so thrilled about the sparklers either.